Saturday, September 24, 2011

Introduction

Hello friends, fellow badminton players and visitors,

My name is Kimmy and the primary goal for this blog is, well, to discuss badminton.

I have played badminton for 4 years and I love it. I still have plenty of room to grow, but my experiences thus far have been life changing. I may not be an expert at everything, but I enjoy the sport. Generally, my blog will contain my experiences, opinions and reviews of badminton.

I am absolutely in love with this sport to an extent where I can train for eight hours. During my school badminton season, I train at least four times a week and no more than six times a week. Last spring badminton season, my team was deemed 2010-2011 Alameda Contra Costra Athletics League Champions while I received the title of 2010-2011 ACCAL Girls Singles First Place Champion. I have one more year in my school badminton team, so I hope I can once again reclaim the title of first place.

I have tried several brands of rackets such as Head, Wilson and Yang-Yang, but I prefer Yonex. The Yonex brand is one of the most well-known badminton brands and their extensive collection of rackets is by far the best quality.

As for shuttlecocks, I use both plastic and feathers depending on the situation.

Badminton shoes are better for more grip on the floor and cushion. I use the blue and white Yonex SHB-42EX Badminton Shoes as opposed to regular running shoes.

Some of my badminton role models include China’s Ma Jin (women’s doubles and mixed doubles), China’s Fu Haifeng (men’s doubles), Malaysia’s Lee Chong Wei (men’s singles) and South Korea’s Lee Yong-dae (men’s doubles and mixed doubles).

It is difficult to keep up with badminton tournaments because they typically do not show in America. However, from time to time, do I try to keep up with tournaments and world rankings of players.

I think the most important aspect when playing badminton is the atmosphere. My favorite badminton facility is the Eastbay Badminton Association formerly known as Golden Gate Badminton Club 2. Everyone there is friendly and always welcome to help one another. Players ranging from different levels always accept a challenge regardless of skill.

Nevertheless, I think badminton is an underestimated sport, but once people play it, they realize how challenging it can be.

I hope I can share and exchange my knowledge of badminton with fellow players. Stay tuned! There’s plenty more to come.

17 comments:

  1. Kimmy,

    Wow! I can tell that you are really passionate about badminton! I'd like to know what your future in badminton will be. Are you going to pursue this in college or as something recreational? I don't really know much about badminton opportunities outside of high school in the area or in the States. Perhaps you could bring some light to the subject as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to play badminton at the Swim Center a few years ago and really enjoyed it. It's a much harder sport than one would think, but it's very fun. It can become very intense too! I hope you continue badminton and good luck in getting your title again this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do a good job explaining why you love badminton and what your favorite brands are. I suggest doing more blog posts the focus on your favorite badminton brands and why they are superior to other products.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kimmy,
    Wow, you are really a hardcore player. I cannot play a sport for eight hours. By the way, to me, this blog post is a little bit jumpy. You should add clauses like "In the future, I would talk about..." So in future posts, are you going to discuss brands for rackets, shoes and shuttlecocks? Are you going to do a comparison for reader? Are you also going to talk about why you choose those people listed above as your role model? And are you going to talk about the best place to play badminton? It sounds really interesting and I can see how readers will be able to learn more about Badminton from your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your passion for badminton really shows in this post. Because Badminton isn't really popular in America, maybe you could talk more about how to get into it and try and let people know about the opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not familiar with Badminton rules, but with what I read it sounds like you work extremely hard. I want to know is how do you play Badminton exactly? Because I'm really unfamiliar with it. I am hoping to read more and see what you say in the future

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kimmy! I like the way you went into detail about your favorite badminton brands and whatnot. I would like to know what made you choose badminton over other sports and also if you're planning to continue playing after high school. Good luck this spring and I hope you reclaim your title!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still remember the first time I went to see a badminton match (game?) in the gym. I thought I would be seeing students playing nicely with each other. In other words, everything would be hearts and rainbows. That was not the case. The meet was cutthroat, with every player throwing themselves into the event. It scared me.

    I left with a new respect for the game. Badminton is not a nice, gentle sport for the faint of heart. Athletes are well-conditioned and skilled in their sport.

    I'm looking forward to learning more about this sport.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kimba-ley. Kimba. Simba. You seem to like this sport a whole lot! And you're very impressive with it. I remember when you won at ACCAL or something? #1!! :D That's so cool, you should keep up with this sport because you're so dedicated and good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you should have put what are your plans are. Like, do you plan on pursuing the sport? Other than that, it's really nice that you're into the sport so much. I really like the sport too! I'm really looking forward to reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Kimmy,

    I think it would be great to expand on how hard(for lack of a better word)badminton actually is. I know you must be criticized by people saying something along the lines of "badminton is not a sport." But people do not realize that badminton players have INCREDIBLE stamina and endurance.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Kimmy,

    I love how passionate you are about badminton! Like Domonique said, I don't think people realize just how difficult this sport can be. Some don't even treat it as a sport but I'm sure if they were to play a game, they would change their minds. Keep up the good work and I really do enjoy your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Kimmy,

    Before reading your blog, I didn't even know that there were specific shoes for badminton. Your blog has opened my eyes to the intense world of badminton. Your dedication to the sport is inspiring and is shown in all the title you've won. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hola!

    You're blog really shows how much you like badminton. I'm so happy for you for earning the title of the 2010-2011 ACCAL Girls Singles First Place Champion. I hope you'll get it again this year. Your last year should be your best year, so give it your all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello

    Actually, I follow professional badminton and consider it a game of extreme reflexes. It would be great for you have write about coverage of professional events as it tends to be hard to follow them in the states.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like your passion for badminton. You inspire me to work harder and improve my techniques. I'm looking forward to this season and hopefully we'll be undefeated this year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really enjoy reading about your love for badminton! You seem very inspired and committed to the sport that's great. I think that colleges will be impressed with your athletic abilities regarding badminton. Have you ever considered going pro?

    ReplyDelete