Monday, October 3, 2011

Just have fun.

Hello again.
In correspondence to my introduction, I would like to explain in detail how much badminton really does mean to me. Honestly, this was my personal statement for college at first, but then I realized how much I dedicate to the game rather than my emotions. I cut out some pieces that will be posted in my new personal statement, so I apologize if you feel it is a bit jumpy. This particular moment is my favorite: my final match for the title of 2010-2011 ACCAL Girls Singles First Place Champion. This is how I remember it:  
“No mercy” was my first thought as I entered my finals game, but that immediately changed. I quickly searched for my belongings: Yonex SHB-42EX badminton shoes, black ankle brace and Yonex Muscle Power 22 racket. I laced up my shoes and stretched, losing the tiny pinch of confidence I had during my team’s pep talk.
My name was called. My heart was racing. I dully rised from the stands and walked to the middle court-- court number three. I stepped onto the court and warmed up as much as I could. Naturally, panic rushed through me: the gym was different from my usual facility, the air was humid and I could not make contact with the shuttlecock. But those were just excuses.
I introduced myself to my opponent and apologized for my sweaty palms and shaky voice. I grabbed the shuttlecock and hit it in the air. I watched as it stayed in free fall; it seemed like hours. It plopped down on the floor and the head pointed to my opponent; it was her serve. I stood in ready position with my racket ready to attack. She served the shuttlecock and I hit it skyward in the back towards her backhand. She returned it to the net. One point for me. The serve was mine. I underhand served a high, deep shot, but she was fast enough to reach the shuttlecock. Unexpectedly, she returned my serve and sent the shuttlecock tight over the net. I lunged forward, but missed the shot.  She led with a score of five to three.
The gym grew silent and the only sounds heard were those of rackets and frustration. All my courage was completely washed away. I took a second to glance at my teammates. They were holding up signs with my name plastered in big bold letters.
A new form of confidence spurred within me. Never in my life have I felt so accomplished. I was in the finals, dead tired and breathing raggedly, but I continued to push forward.
I tried not to focus on losing or making mistakes. All I wanted to do was play the game I love and have fun, but at the same time, do the best I could.
“Just have fun” was the advice my coaches continued to give me. I grinned as flashbacks passed-- the games, the cheers, the friends, the sweat; I love it all.
I won a sequence of points and eventually lead with a score of twenty-one to nine. It was time for game two of a best-of-three match. My coach approached me with advice.
“Don’t worry. You can do this,” he assured. “Just have fun.”
This made me more determined than ever.
The second game commenced and my opponent was weakening. I took this to an advantage and sped up my game by continuously smashing the shuttlecock with all my power. It was the final shot and she gave me the perfect opportunity to kill the shuttlecock. The final score was twenty-one to ten. I did it.
Last spring badminton season, my team was deemed 2010-2011 Alameda Contra Costra Athletics League Champions while I received the title of 2010-2011 ACCAL Girls Singles First Place Champion.

12 comments:

  1. omg kimmy. you're not even on my list to read, but i YOUR STORY GOT ME HOOKED! I just started to read in the little updates bar and I was like... I should just click on it for fun. Your post seemed long so i didn't really want to read it, but as soon as I started I LITERALLY couldn't stop! It was very well written and I was listening to epic music while reading it, so it seemed even MORE epic/intense! HAHAHA. I congrats'd you before, but ill do it again. You did so well, im sad i wasn't there to see it, but I know you'll have more games in the future. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kimmy!
    First of all what you experienced playing at ACCAL is really interesting. I had no idea you had those feelings before playing a game. Score of twenty one to ten, that's amazing! I'm really glad you shared this experience with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Kimmy ! :) I challenge you to a badminton match one day. I might lose, but at least I know that I'll be losing to a champion :D
    Also, I love your story, it felt like I was actually there. I am so glad your team is very supportive. I wish you the best this spring ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimmy! I'm so inspired by your story. It's kind of like a movie, haha. I'm glad you won. First place is a big accomplishment! I hope you can get your title again this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kimmy! I admire your passion for badminton and especially love your detail. At ACCAL last year, from my perspective, I just saw you devastate your final opponent. I wasn't aware of everything you felt as you played the match. I guess its hard to tell from the outside everything being felt on the inside. I wish you the best of luck for next season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Kimmy! I am impressed and inspired. I love you recalled the details of that game. Congrats on your win and I can't wait for your ext post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Kimmy! I like how you remember everything that happened so well. Your passion for badminton makes me even want to play .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kimmy! This is so interesting. Congratulations again, I am envious of how great you are in badminton. Reading this was like watching a suspenseful movie where you want to know what's happening especially with the great detail!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Kimmy,

    Wow...I don't know if you know this, but you're AMAZING! Not to mention determined, passionate, and dedicated. Your story is truly inspiring and I could tell that you love what you do.

    By the way, CONGRATULATIONS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "I grinned as flashbacks passed-- the games, the cheers, the friends, the sweat; I love it all."

    That's my favorite line from this. It's beautiful. To me, this line basically shows just how much you love the sport. You are very inspiring, Kimmy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I can really feel all your passion through the words. I can already tell how much you love the sport; can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never really understood the passion people have for a sport or an art. It all just seemed very disconnected to me, very unnecessary.

    But this blog is quite brilliant. From "No Mercy" to your coach's advice, I could feel how you felt through your narrative, how much you care about badminton. Keep on smashing, Kimmy, you're making the world all the better for it.

    ReplyDelete