Sunday, October 9, 2011

The basics: How do you play badminton?

Badminton is a sport that requires agility, balance, and strength.  The game can be played as singles (one versus one) or doubles (two versus two). It is played on a 20 (17 ft. in singles) by 44 feet court with a racket and shuttlecock, also known as a birdie.
Here are the basics:
    • Each game is played up to 21 points.
    • However, if the score reaches 20-20, one must win by a two point advantage.
    • A match is the best of three games.
    • There are six essential shots: smash, drop, clear, drive, lift and net.
    • The winner of a rally serves the next point regardless of who previously served.
    • Even numbers serve on the right box, odd on the left box.
    • The objective is pretty simple: hit the shuttlecock over the net so that your opponent cannot reach it or so that your opponent makes a mistake. 
    • Most importantly, have fun!


    The picture above shows where to serve and where a player can hit after the serve. It is pretty difficult to explain through text. There are plenty of badminton videos online to learn how to play. I would post of video, but I’m not exactly the best teacher.
    Although badminton may seem like an easy sport to others, it is essentially hard. Personally, I find that balance and stamina are the most important aspects in playing. Because badminton is such a fast paced sport, it is hard to keep up with the shuttlecock just by running around the court. Balance helps me keep steady in the small court, while my stamina helps me keep up with the birdie.
 
    Random video: Want to have a laugh? Watch Badminton Jedi!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kimmy! This post was very helpful in explaining the rules of badminton. I've played badminton in PE, but I'm pretty sure we didn't follow the official rules. The pictures were also very helpful. I wish I could watch the video, but the school computers don't allow us to. I will definitely watch it when I get home tonight.

    ReplyDelete